Mt Baker BC – Powder Served Daily
- Dates: Tues thru Fri from Dec-April
- Duration: 1-2 Days
- Level: Beginner
- Client Ratio: 5:1
- 1 Day – $295
- Custom Rates for 1:1
- Included: Guide, Tour Plan
- Not Included: Transportation, personal touring gear, Gratuities
You can count on one hand places on Earth that receive as much snow as Mt Baker BC and we can show you the goods! We proudly serve Cascade Powder fresh at Mt Baker this winter. You can now enjoy daily or weekend get-aways along with possible hut nights at the Winchester Fire Lookout.
- Adjustable Ski poles with powder (big) baskets*
- Skis or snowboard.Skis should be equipped with alpine touring bindings or telemark bindings. We prefer split decision snowboards w/ skins because you do not need snow shoes.
- Alpine touring, telemark, or snowboard boots
- Skins with glop stopper (skin wax)
- Avalanche Beacon This needs to be Triple Antenna.
- Shovel Small collapsible style
- Avalanche Probe 265cm or longer
- Helmet for riding and climbing adjustable to fit over hats*Optional
- Lightweight base layer T-shirt or long sleeve polypropylene shirt
- Soft Shell
- 1 Down/synthetic jacket with hood
- 1 Hard shell jacket with hood Waterproof and breathable. roomy enough to fit over multiple layers.
- 1 pair lightweight gloves
- 1 pair Mid weight Shell gloves o
- Warm hat Wool or synthetic
- Balaclava or Buff
- Shade hat or baseball cap
- 1 pair heavy wool/synthetic socks
- 1 pair lightweight long underwear
- Soft shell pants
- Shell pants Waterproof/breathable with full side zips, Gore-Tex or equivalent is best
- Internal frame pack 2000-2500 cubic inch capacity, avoid unnecessary options that add weight
- Goggles & Sunglasses 100% UV protection
- Personal first aid kit Basics: moleskin/blister kit, Band-Aids, first-aid tape, ibuprofen, personal medications, etc.
- Lip balm At least SPF 20,
- Sunscreen At least SPF 40
- Headlamp compact LED
- 1- 2 liter Water bottles.
- 1 small stainless steel thermos (Optional)
- Lunch & snack food
WILL MY GUIDE (OR GUIDES) BE?
You will receive an introductory email with the instructor for your course. We are small company who enjoy working together in the mountains as well as highly skilled professionals who hold current Wilderness First Responder certification and are proficient in technical rescue and evacuation skills. Our guides are dedicated to the world of alpinism, many having first ascents and hold professional certifications with AIARE & AMGA. The AMGA is part of the IFMGA, which is the international body of certified mountain guides.
HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP MY GUIDES?
Tipping is considered standard practice in the guiding industry. Tipping amounts vary, often 10% of the course cost is a good rule-of-thumb. so $20-30 per day per person/per guide is average that works well for the guides without a serious blow to your wallet. If you feel that the program was exceptional or substandard the tip can reflect that.
CAN I RENT EQUIPMENT FROM BCAG?
No, we recommend renting from Ascent Outdoors where they have a full selection of rentals.
HOW HEAVY WILL MY PACK BE?
You will carry 10-15 pounds, which will include everything on the equipment list.
WHEN DO I NEED TO PAY THE BALANCE OF MY TRIP?
Payable when you make your reservation by check, or credit card.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I NEED TO CANCEL MY TRIP?
If you should decide to cancel your trip, BCAG must be notified in writing. Your trip will be cancelled from the date we receive written notice. You will be assessed a cancellation fee according to the following schedule:
90 to 22 days from trip departure – 50% of trip cost
30 days or less – 100% of trip cost
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO CHANGE THE DATES OF MY TRIP?
Schedule changes are subject to a $50 fee per person up to 2 weeks out and $100 less then 14 days from the start of the trip and may not be possible. If conditions or circumstances preclude running a scheduled program we reserve the right to make the decision as to whether the program will be canceled, rescheduled, or an alternative provided.
WHAT HAPPENS IF BC ADVENTURE GUIDES HAS TO CANCEL MY TRIP?
In the rare circumstance where we need to cancel a program you can reschedule without a fee or receive a refund on your deposit. If circumstances arise that force us to cancel a program that is already in progress we reserve the right to decide whether a refund or credit, at a prorated rate, will be issued. We are not responsible for cancellation fees or costs arising from your changed or cancelled flights, lodging, or other arrangements. We strongly recommend obtaining trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE?
BCAG highly encourages the purchasing of trip cancellation and travel insurance on domestic trips and requires it on International trips. Europeans and Canadians use it because travel insurance provides coverage for trip cancellation and interruption, travel delays, loss of baggage and travel documents, baggage delays, medical expenses and emergency assistance.
Several options include Travelex or Travel Guard International at (1-877-248-8992) & www.travelguard.com for protecting your investment, however there are many companies to choose from and you may wish to do some individual research regarding which policy is right for you.
WHEN SHOULD I PLAN TO LEAVE A RETURN HOME?
We often get this question because most people need to know how much total time they need to take off work. Our Avi and Ski Tours begin by 8 AM at the trailhead and return to the car by 3. Our return to Seattle typically gets back between 7-9 pm with the traffic and drive back.