We are proud to partner with our friends at Boulder Hut Adventures to offer this trip of a lifetime! The Boulder Hut covers over 15,000 acres of exclusive tenure and almost 60 named runs to play in. Chutes, high alpine bowls, glades and treed powder skiing give you a choice from the best skiing buffet on the planet, the Purcells. The Boulder Hut sits at tree line (2,000m, 6,500’) with Mt. Higgins and Mt Levesque overhead to remind you of the glaciers that carved this landscape.
- 2019 Feb 24-March 3
- Duration: 7 Days
- Level: Expert
- Client Ratio: 6:1
- Cost: $1995
- Helicopter access from Kimberley, with return flight
- 7 nights accommodations at Boulder Hut
- Orientation with companion rescue refresher and gear familiarization
- 7 days of guided ski touring (including the first exchange day) by certified AMGA/IFMGA guides
- Three healthy meals per day prepared by our professional cooking staff
- Full use of the lodge facility with sauna, drying room, repair shop, duvets and sleeping linens
- Not Included: Transportation to Kimberly, personal equipment, alcohol(you may bring your own), gratuities
BOOK ONLINE NOW!
The Legendary Boulder Hut was built in the late 60’s by Art Twomey and Margie Jamieson, who pioneered one of the first commercial backcountry lodges. Fast forward to 2005 when my friends Mark and Sarah Yancey bought it and committed their family to the backcountry lifestyle. Their lodge reflects this commitment to authenticity dedicated to enhancing the human experience in remote outdoor adventure.Mark and Sarah’s hospitality means nutritious, delicious home cooked meals in a comfortable lodge with great company and a long standing history of guided epic adventure. The Boulder Hut provide you everything you need for a comfortable stay and nothing that you don’t.
- Separate dining, guest sleeping, guide lodging and sauna buildings
- Home cooked meals featuring fresh meat, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit
- Wood heat
- Running water
- Electricity provided by our mico-hydro system (you can charge your camera battery)
- Electric lights
- Bunkroom-style sleeping accommodations with pillows, fresh linens and duvets
- Stretching area
- Indoor pee toilet; two outdoor outhouses
Day 1 AM-Assemble @Kimberly Mountain Resort and fly in. Check in at the hut, eat and have a safety orientation followed by a short tour.
Days 2-7 Eat a hearty breakfast and tour to your groups abilities and current snow conditions allow, 4-7,000′ per day. Eat, drink, sleep and repeat!
Day 8 Pack up and return to Kimberly and head back home with great memories and new friends!
Skis or Splitboard. Skis should be equipped with alpine touring bindings or telemark bindings. We prefer split decision snowboards w/ skins. *(Available for rental @Ascent Outdoors)
Ski poles with powder (big) baskets
- Alpine touring, telemark, or snowboard boots *(Available for rental @Ascent)
- Skins with glop stopper (skin wax)
- Avalanche Beacon This needs to be Triple Antenna.*(Available for rental @Ascent)
- Shovel Small collapsible style*(Available for rental @Ascent)
- Avalanche Probe 265cm or longer*(Available for rental @Ascent)
- Lightweight base layer T-shirt or long sleeve polypropylene shirt
- Soft Shell
- 1 Down/synthetic jacket with hood
- 1 Hard shell jacket with hood Waterproof and breathable. roomy enough to fit over multiple layers.
- 1 pair liner gloves Thin wool or polypropylene
- Shell gloves or mitts
- Warm hat Wool or synthetic
- Balaclava or Buff
- Shade hat or baseball cap
- 2 pair heavy wool/synthetic socks Check boot fit with liner and wool socks on
- 1-2 pair light & midweight long underwear wool or synthetic
- Soft shell pants
- Shell pants Waterproof/breathable with full side zips, Gore-Tex or equivalent is best
- Casual clothing (cotton is fine) and slippers for the hut
- Washcloth & small towel for drying off after sauna
- Internal frame pack 2000-2500 cubic inch capacity, avoid unnecessary options that add weight
- Sunglasses 100% UV protection
- Personal first aid kit Basics: moleskin/blister kit, Band-Aids, first-aid tape, ibuprofen, personal medications, etc.
- Lip balm At least SPF 20,
- Sunscreen At least SPF 40
- Headlamp compact LED
- 2 1-liter water bottles
- Hand wipes
- 1 small stainless steel thermos (Optional)
- Snack food (no more than 2 pounds)
WILL MY GUIDE (OR GUIDES) BE?
You will receive an introductory email with the instructor for your course. We are small company who enjoy working together in the mountains as well as highly skilled professionals who hold current Wilderness First Responder certification and are proficient in technical rescue and evacuation skills. Our guides are dedicated to the world of alpinism, many having first ascents and hold professional certifications with AIARE & AMGA. The AMGA is part of the IFMGA, which is the international body of certified mountain guides.
HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP MY GUIDES?
Tipping is considered standard practice in the guiding industry. Tipping amounts vary – so $15-20 per day per person/per guide is average that works well for the guides without a serious blow to your wallet. Often 10% of the course cost is a good rule-of-thumb. If you feel that the program was exceptional or substandard the tip can reflect that.
CAN I RENT EQUIPMENT FROM BCAG?
We work with Ascent Outdoors who rents full ski and splitboard packages as well as beacons, shovels, and probes here. If you need these plus touring equipment, Quantities are limited so please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested.
HOW MUCH CAN I TAKE?
Excluding ski gear-35 pound weight limit on clothes.Follow the equipment list and it will be plenty.
HOW HEAVY WILL MY PACK BE?
You will carry 10-15 pounds, which will include everything on the equipment list.
WHEN DO I NEED TO PAY THE BALANCE OF MY TRIP?
50% Deposit at the time of the reservation, the balance due 90 days prior to departure.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I NEED TO CANCEL MY TRIP?
If you should decide to cancel your trip, BCAG must be notified in writing. Your trip will be cancelled from the date we receive written notice. You will be assessed a cancellation fee according to the following schedule:
90 to 22 days from trip departure – 50% of trip cost
30 days or less – 100% of trip cost
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO CHANGE THE DATES OF MY TRIP?
Schedule changes are subject to a $50 fee per person up to 2 weeks out and $100 less then 14 days from the start of the trip and may not be possible. If conditions or circumstances preclude running a scheduled program we reserve the right to make the decision as to whether the program will be canceled, rescheduled, or an alternative provided.
WHAT HAPPENS IF BC ADVENTURE GUIDES HAS TO CANCEL MY TRIP?
In the rare circumstance where we need to cancel a program you can reschedule without a fee or receive a refund on your deposit. If circumstances arise that force us to cancel a program that is already in progress we reserve the right to decide whether a refund or credit, at a prorated rate, will be issued. We are not responsible for cancellation fees or costs arising from your changed or cancelled flights, lodging, or other arrangements. We strongly recommend obtaining trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE?
BCAG highly encourages the purchasing of trip cancellation and travel insurance on domestic trips and requires it on International trips. Europeans and Canadians use it because travel insurance provides coverage for trip cancellation and interruption, travel delays, loss of baggage and travel documents, baggage delays, medical expenses and emergency assistance.
Several options include Travelex or Travel Guard International at (1-877-248-8992) & www.travelguard.com for protecting your investment, however there are many companies to choose from and you may wish to do some individual research regarding which policy is right for you.
WHEN SHOULD I PLAN TO LEAVE A RETURN HOME?
We’re deep in the Purcell backcountry and relatively easy to get to. Guests meet at Kimberley Alpine Resort and are flown in by Astar 350 helicopter to Boulder Hut. Please plan your travel itinerary giving yourself a buffer (a day on each end) to accommodate delays due to stormy weather. These could include your incoming flight not arriving on time or a weather delay in helicopter transport out from the hut. In the winter it snows here. A lot.
AIR TRANSPORT OPTIONS
Canadian Rockies International Airport in Cranbrook, BC (YXC). Take the shuttle (30 minutes) to the resort. Boulder Hut guests receive discounts on lift tickets and lodging at the resort. Email us for details.
Calgary International Airport (YYC), Calgary Alberta, 4.5 hour drive to Kimberley
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA), Kalispell, Montana, 3 hour drive to Kimberley
Spokane International Airport (GEG), Spokane, Washington, 4 hour drive to Kimberley
WHERE TO STAY
To make the beginning or end of your trip more enjoyable, we have partnered with Kimberley Alpine Resort to offer discounted room rates and lift tickets. To take advantage of this deal please email us at least a week in advance.
For information on other lodging options before or after your stay with us and things to do in Kimberley visit theTourism Kimberley website.